Monday, April 19, 2010

An Ouchie


Rebecca, Lauren and I were in an accident, the 5th of April. We were meeting a semi-truck when a women who was following the semi turned left right in front of us. We never saw her little truck behind the semi until she just turned into our lane. We hit her broadside. We were going maybe 45 miles an hour. We had just completed a full stop at a stop sign and had not reached the speed limit of 65 miles an hour yet. We barely had time to hit the brakes before we hit her, no place to go, nothing to do but hit her. She was not wearing seatbelt, hit her head on windshield and had a pretty bad cut, but the medics said they thought she would be ok. She was thrown to the passenger side and hit that glass hard, too.


None of us had to go to the hospital. Rebecca's neck is a little sore. Jeff made an appointment at the Wellness Center here in town for her to have the stiffness worked out. They said a 'salt bath' or something, too. It is for this afternoon. I hit my knees on the dash, a little bruised, but not even stiff this morning. The seatbelts did a real number on me and Rebecca, the seatbelt knocked all the air out of my lungs and it took a few seconds to get my air back, but I would rather that than what the woman suffered for not having her seatbelt on! Lauren was in the back seat of the truck and got a scratch on her back and jammed three of her fingers, looks like that is all.  It has been a couple of weeks and everyone seems to be getting along fine, except for myself.  I guess old people take longer or something!  I am still hoping my injuries are minor and will heal by themselves.  Most days I feel like I am improving... some days I not so much! :)

Rebecca was able to get the truck stopped, by the grace of God, before we went over a 20 foot embankment. We were both looking at that embankment as the truck carrened toward it, Rebecca was turning the wheels to the left and she said, "I can't get it stopped", and then "I can't stop" and then, it just came to the softest stop you have ever seen in your life! I cannot explain it, we were going really fast straight towards it, then we were just stopped. Last night, at the house, we were talking about that moment and I said, "I wonder why the airbags didn't deploy?" If they had, Rebecca would not have been able to see the embankment or even reach the steering wheel to steer the truck.

We may be a little stiff, a little bruised, but we are whole and I know as well as I know that I am writing this letter; that God cared for us. He allowed no more than what was His Will. Truly, His grace is sufficient. I pray that His will, His plans are done. The man that ran across the street and prayed with Lauren and the woman, the man who came up to Rebecca and said I know your son, the police officer, the woman we hit, each life God reached, even the people this afternoon at the Wellness Center, may God's will be done, souls saved, lives affected, changed.

If I could choose, I would choose not to have a wreck, but God's ways are not my ways. I only see my life, my family. God's sees and loves all of us. I praise Him that no life was lost and I pray that a soul may be saved! To God be the glory.


No comments: